Friday, December 21, 2007

review of sweeny todd: 1.5 out of 5

I want to start off by saying that I did not like this movie before I even saw it and that might have something to do with the review. When I decided to go with my love on opening night I really was hoping I was going to be wrong about Tim Burton's movie Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street and that it was going to be a good film and not too comically bloody and not have a whole lot of actors singing badly. I am sorry to say I was right.

I wish I had written it down but when I first saw the previews, and my love can attest, I said "Its going to be a bad movie. It's going to be a Tim Burton does Quentin Tarantino" and it was badly so. A whole 15 - 20 minutes of the movie is the Johnny Depp slitting peoples throat causing blood to gush out semi-comically so that it caused members of the theater laugh uncomfortably.

All of the gushing blood seemed to damper the singing of the actors. I have heard that Johnny Depp does not do singing parts and I now know why. The only thing Tim Burton did right was cast his wife Helena Bonham Carter as Mrs. Lovett the meat pie shop owner below Todd's barber shop of horrors because she seemed to know what she was doing. With lyrics throughout the movie that either made no sense or were hard to understand, put to the same song over and over and over again I really had a hard time enjoying the movie and really wanted to be somewhere, anywhere!, else.

There were some funny scenes in it and I would like to see if it was just this rendition that did it poorly or is this how its supposed to be done. I hope to see it done differently sometime maybe I will find the original melodrama.

The pros:
Helena Bonham Carter
A dark and twisted tale
a handful of funny scenes
Johnny Depp
by the end I really wanted everyone to die and it actually happened

The Cons:
Alan Rickman
inappropriate bloody scenes
completely predictable plot
Johnny Depp singing
dragging plot
lyrics that make no sense
everybody's accent made the singing hard to understand
the two and half hours of my life will never get back

I give this movie:
1.5 out of 5 necks gushing blood uncontrollably

No comments: